Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Sometimes in April"-The Rwandan Genocide.



On Friday, 18th of February, the last day before mid-term, we watched the movie "Sometimes in April". This is a movie about the Rwandan Genocide in 1994. There are two words I can think of to describe this movie. Those two words are horrifically devastating.
As I watched this movie, the feelings that went through me are indescribable. The movie makes you both sad and angry.
Unfortunately we only had three class periods to watch the movie so we didn't get to watch it to the very end. We finished it off in religion class when we came back after mid-term.
As a follow on from the movie and as a case study on genocide, we are doing interviews, taking notes and writing blogs. The interviews are with the characters from the movie who survived the genocide.
Watching this movie has made be reflect hugely on war and conflict, especially in the developing world, where they really cannot afford it. I would loved to have been there, in 1994, to try and help stop the genocide. I would have done anything to prevent such devastating scenes. Unfortunately though, I am only one person. However, I would like to do some campaign in an effort to prevent genocides happening today. It may not happen with the click of a finger, but hopefully, someday, I'll get around to doing it.
I would recommend the movie strongly, just so you too can see what happened in Rwanda in April 1994.



Niamh! :D

Picture Source: en.wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment