Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Back to primary school I go! :D

On Monday, I began my second week of work experience for transition year. This time, I'm doing my work experience in Aghards National School. This is the school I attended during my primary school years.

I chose to go to a primary school for this week as I wanted to do something different to my last work experience and I also wanted to get an insight to primary school teaching. Before I went into the school on Monday morning, a primary school teacher wasn't ranked very high on my list of possible careers. However, after the first two hours of being there, it shot right up the list!

I've always wanted to do something medical, but, after spending three days in a primary school (not as a pupil!) I'm kind of, sort of, liking the set up of primary teaching. The career has a lovely environment attached to it. I love helping people, especially younger people. I'm so thankful that I did transition year because I can now see that I would be suited to a teaching job.

This week is a very busy week in the school as the annual readathon assembly was taking place. It is a really good week for getting experience because there is loads to do around the place. On Monday, I was given my timetable by the vice-principal. My timetable was quite varied. I was helping decorate the hall for the assembly, I was helping the junior classes with shared reading, I was supervising classes while the teacher was out at a meeting and I was on yard duty etc.

I was kept busy throughout the whole week, which I loved. All of the teachers were very friendly to me, especially the ones that had taught me in previous years. I thoroughly enjoyed my week of work experience in Aghards, more so than my first week of work experience back in November.

Transition year is a great opportunity for people to do work experience. It has really helped me in deciding what I would like to do when I leave school.

Niamh! :D

Picture Source: schooldays.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment