Sunday, February 6, 2011

Damhsa Gaelach! Diddlyi! :)

On Fridays we have Irish straight after lunch. We tend to be quite chirpy in this class because it's on a Friday afternoon and it's straight after lunch. Our Friday Irish class is usually a fun class. We might watch Irish clips on the internet or play quizzes or listen to music in Irish etc.
However, the Friday just past was different. Our Irish teacher, Mr S, decided to bring us down to the hall with the other Irish class to do some Irish dancing.
I myself, am an Irish dancer and have been doing Irish dancing for the past twelve and a half years. I love seeing others enjoy the aul Irish reel or jig every now and again. The atmosphere in the hall on Friday was fantastic. Everyone enjoyed themselves immensely, including myself.
We danced the "Walls of Limerick" and the "Siege of Ennis". These two figure dances are probably the most well known of all figure dances. We did these two dances over and over again until we had danced with every group of four or group of two.
At the very end, when MR S and Ms NC asked us to get organised for our last class, some of my friends who know that I do Irish dancing, started cheering me on to do a step or two for them. I don't mind that kind of thing because I enjoy dancing. I actually prefer dancing for the fun in front of a group like that, than dancing in the Championships at a Feis. This is because, when you're dancing for fun in front of a group of people like my fellow TY heads, there is no pressure and you feel so much more relaxed.
It was unfortunate that I was in my school kilt and that the music wasn't suited to my steps. I couldn't lift my legs up very high because otherwise my skirt would have ripped!!! Mr S didn't have any reel music, he just had music for ceili dancing and set dancing which was way to fast for my steps. However, I tried my best and I think everyone enjoyed my little performance! My friend, Karen, who used to do Irish dancing also performed a step. It took me to dance first though before she would!
It was such a good, fun and enjoyable Irish class. I only hope that there will be plenty more to come before the school year is out. I hope we do loads of fun things like that for Seachtain na Gaeilge in March!

Niamh! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment