Sunday, April 10, 2011

I think I'll stick to Irish Dancing!

On Friday, March 25th, for our Irish class after lunch our teacher Mr S decided to show us a bit of the old style Irish dancing, Sean Nos dancing. Sean nos dancing is a more casual style to the traditional Irish dancing. The moves are a lot more free flowing. Mr S put a video from youtube up on the board so we could hear the Irish music and follow the sean nos steps. The dancing was a great bit of craic, especially given it was second last class on Friday afternoon. Even though the sean nos dancing was fun to learn and very enjoyable, I found it hard to grasp because I do Irish dancing myself and it is a lot stricter from a carriage holding point of view. For sean nos dancing you are given the freedom of using your hands and dancing on the flat of your feet, whereas for Irish dancing, you have to keep your arms straight down by your sides, your feet must be crossed and you have to dance up on your toes. As much and all as I did enjoy the bit of sean nos dancing that we learned, I think I'll stick to Irish dancing! :) Niamh! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment